I tried this kale caesar salad recipe from Gimme Some Oven the day it hit my inbox last week, and it was so good, I just had to share! It feels indulgent, but it’s totally not. And the tangy lime juice totally changes the feel of this caesar salad, and the kale makes certain it’s super healthy. I won’t provide a ton of commentary, just wanted to share this recipe with y’all. For those of you looking to kick the new year off on a healthier foot, this is a great start! It’s not Whole30 (and would be difficult to modify to fit the guidelines, since it’s based on dairy), but still very light and healthy. I also added a splash of plain Kefir for extra probiotics.
Kefir is a fermented milk product (cow, goat or sheep milk) that tastes like a drinkable yogurt. Kefir contains high levels of vitamin B12, calcium, magnesium, vitamin K2, biotin, folate, enzymes and probiotics. Because kefir does not have a standardized nutrition content, the content values can vary based on the cows, cultures, and region where it is produced. Yet even with the range in values, kefir has superior nutrition. (via DrAxe.com) I just really like Kefir because it’s tangy like yogurt, has huge amounts of probiotics (more than yogurt), and is easy to add into smoothies, top your yogurt or oatmeal, and more. This salad would also be delicious with some grilled shrimp or chicken added!
Happy healthy eating!
This Kale Caesar Salad is made with tons of fresh kale and Romaine, and tossed with lighter lime Caesar dressing, and trust me — it’s DELICIOUS.
KALE CAESAR SALAD INGREDIENTS:
- 4 cups chopped fresh kale
- 4 cups chopped Romaine lettuce
- 2 cups croutons (*I just toasted some French bread and crumbled it afterwards, see instructions below)
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 batch Lime Caesar Dressing, below
- optional: 1 cup halved cherry or grape tomatoes
LIME CAESAR DRESSING INGREDIENTS:
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (I used non-fat)
- 1/2 cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
- 3-4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-2 teaspoons anchovy paste, to taste
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic, pressed or finely minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 3-4 tablespoons milk
TO MAKE THE KALE CAESAR SALAD:
- Add the kale, Romaine, croutons, Parmesan, dressing, and tomatoes (if using) to a large bowl. Toss until combined.
- Serve immediately.
TO MAKE THE LIME CAESAR DRESSING:
- Add all ingredients except milk to a small mixing bowl, and whisk together until combined and smooth. Whisk in a tablespoon of milk at a time until the dressing reaches your desired consistency.
- Use immediately, or refrigerate in a sealed container for up to 3 days.
*To make easy croutons, just drizzle a few slices of old bread with olive oil (or brush with melted butter), and sprinkle with salt and Italian seasoning. Toast them up until crispy. Then either crumble them up with your hands, or use a knife to chop them into small pieces.
Inspired by Sweetgreen.