Work ends at 5:00 pm. If I’m working in my office, I get home around 5:45 or 6:00 pm. Adella Grace hits the hay between 6:30 and 7:30 every night. This leaves approximately 20 minutes for dinner prep. The struggle for mama and daddy is very, very real. Enter this easy peasy chicken and rice casserole.
I dug out this family favorite recipe for chicken and rice casserole from the handwritten cookbook my aunt Lori gave me last night, and I’m so glad I did! Wheat mixed it all together (along with a couple edits we made) while I bathed baby. Win/win for errybody.
Easy Chicken and Rice Casserole
– 1 cup Minute Rice (we used the multi-grain medley with brown rice, red rice, wild rice & quinoa)
– 1 rotisserie chicken, picked off bone (can substitute one large can of chicken)
– 1 can cream of mushroom soup
– 1 soup can water
– 1 small can evaporated milk
– 1/2 stick unsalted butter
– 1 can mushrooms (could use fresh if your fancy/have gobs of time on a Tuesday night)
– 1 jar pimiento peppers (I added this one, can opt out)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Melt butter. Mix all ingredients well (we do this right in the Casserole dish). Pour into 9×13 Casserole dish. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes or until bubbly and browned on top. Serve with a salad or quick sautéed greens, etc. to make a complete meal.
PS we just discovered this variety of Minute Rice – it’s great! (PS no paid ad here – Wheat just found this in our local grocery store and we really liked it!)
PPS please excuse all the terribly iPhone photography today… and refer back to paragraph one. ;)